Open Source Intelligence, or OSINT, is an important part of learning more about people. Law enforcement agencies, licensed investigators, and researchers all need to use OSINT to get information about various individuals, all for various reasons. Whether you’re looking to manage your corporate risk or you’re trying to get more information about a person of interest, OSINT should be your first stop. Here’s how a public records search can make it easier for you to access OSINT.
Discovering Publicly Available Information More Easily
Just because information is technically OSINT, that doesn’t mean it’s always easy to find. For example, someone’s property records may give you information on their previous addresses, contact information, and other generalized knowledge, but that doesn’t mean it’s always easy for you to get the property records in the first place. A quality public records search engine will give you the ability to get the records you’re looking for more easily.
- A piece of information being OSINT doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s going to be easy to get ahold of.
- Getting open-source information requires that you have the tools necessary to uncover that information.
- With a public records search engine, you’ll be able to get that information in a manner that’s convenient for you.
Uncovering Information From Social Media
Social media is a huge source of OSINT. If you want to get information about an individual, social media could be a great way to do it. Many people put out a significant amount of personal or private information through social media, making it free for pretty much anyone to access. The thing is, you need to be able to find someone’s social media presence to do that. With the right public search engine, you can get access to that information.
- When you’re looking for more information about a person, you may want to check that person’s social media presence.
- Getting OSINT from a social media platform requires that you have an extensive profile on someone’s accounts and presence.
- A Social Media Search can give you information about a person’s social media platforms and other website presences.
Getting Cost-Effective Knowledge
One important part of obtaining OSINT is making sure you’re paying the right amount for it. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you may be overpaying for OSINT that you could get for cheaper elsewhere, or you might assume that certain types of OSINT are too expensive for your needs. The good news is, there are public search engines out there that can give you access to high-quality OSINT without breaking the bank. You just have to know how to find them.
- Managing the costs and benefits of accessing OSINT is an important part of running a well-functioning business.
- Understanding more about OSINT will let you know how much you should be paying for certain types of OSINT.
- When you’re accessing a quality people search, you’ll get the information you need at a great price.
Crafting a Full Profile On Your Subject
At the end of the day, one of the most important things to have with a public search engine is comprehensiveness. You want to know you have all the necessary information so you can get a complete picture of your subject. Whether you’re working with law enforcement to prevent crimes or you just want to make sure you’re performing your due diligence, you should certainly make sure the public search engine you use allows you to create a full profile.
- Comprehensiveness is an important part of making sure you’re getting the right information about the right people.
- You want to get as much information as you can at once, and you want to know that information is truthful.
- With the right public search engine, you’ll be able to get a comprehensive look at your subject’s information.
“Your service has made my effectiveness as a Police Investigator much better. I've been using it on a Cold Case Murder and tracking down numerous witnesses from 45 years ago, including finding a John Smith numerous states away. I LOVE IT!”
Keego Harbor Police Dept
How Can Tracers Help With OSINT?
When you’re looking for OSINT, you should always use Tracers data to do it. With a Tracers Social Media search, you can collect information from social media networks like Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest and LinkedIn. You can even discover message boards someone’s posted on and web domains they own.
There are plenty of reasons you might want to use OSINT in your business. From investigations trying to find someone who’s skipped town to companies trying to find more ways to reach out to customers, Tracers data gives you more ways to understand people. Look into Tracers’ people searches and API solutions to find out more.